Sunday 17 November 2013

Donor car

After much research, and I mean MUCH research, a 2.0 VW AGG engine was needed, this had the best torque output at low revs which would best suit my gearbox. There were some other engines I could have sourced but there were a few good build threads on the brickyard and retroride proboards that I could follow with success.

A mk3 Golf GTI was found nearby and was way too cheap to pass up, a bit of MOT was left on it so I snapped it up drove it around a bit and was absolutely chuffed. The engine was sweet and really smooth, it had been quite well looked after and the owner was sad to see it go and when she asked " so are you going to fix it up" I must admit I was a bit ashamed to say " well actually I'm gonna rip the engine out, fill it full of scrap and weigh it in"

Getting the engine out was really easy especially with my trusty skateboard, I wasn't going to cheat and cut the drive shafts like the scrappers, I took my time.



The only problems I had was one stubborn gearbox bolt right at the back which was partially covered by the diff.
I also had to get the loom out intact with the ECU fuse box, transponder, key sensor ring, relays any cool bits, tool kit, badges, loads of rizla papers and about 64 pence.

The loom had to be passed out through the bulkhead under the dash which sounds easy enough, but the brake servo was in the way and there was no way I could get it passed without getting the servo off. I got brutal with a huge iron bar and just bent the thing out the way, not ideal or professional but way fun and by this point I knew this car was destined for the KIA factory.





I was in two minds whether to keep all the brake calipers and discs but the day was getting long and I had to tidy up the place before work next week. Maybe I should have kept them.

No comments:

Post a Comment