Tuesday 19 November 2013

Diesel Out !

The time came to remove the KY 1.7 N/A Diesel which was a shame really as it was a reconditioned unit with only 47k on it but I couldn't live with this sort of power or lack of it.

The engine flew out, it was really easy to drop, no problems and lowered it onto my professional engine moving device (skateboard) I made a note of where a lot of parts went and made sure I didn't damage anything.

I tied all the electrics neatly out the way and completely stripped the engine bay so I could patch a few holes and respray it all.













I rubbed the bay down to bare metal and sprayed it all in primer for now but I'm going to spray it in the main body colour before I start re-fitting the engine and components.

It did have a diesel battery tray which I removed because I want to tuck the battery away behind the offside light cluster, I might put the AGG ECU in there as well away from most of the heat and moisture.








Stripped off exhaust and inlet manifolds, next I need to fit new water pump, cam belt and tensioner various gaskets seal including crankshaft seal.

I'm only doing a light rebuild on this motor as I'm happy with how it was running when I removed it from the golf, but I still need to replace every component I can without taking the head off.

The sump and oil pump pick-up will be swapped for the diesel and the diesel engine mounts will be fitted.

I'm still hunting for a non air con model alternator mounting bracket so it wont poke above the engine lid and I can use a serpentine belt.
I could actually use the old diesel alternator with a bracket from an early golf but tensioning it might be a problem.
I haven't got this far yet so I will see what I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment